More and more district leaders and educators are highlighting the importance of outdoor learning. Getting outside to move and spending time outdoors has profound impacts on students’ health and well-being, and also provides safer learning spaces during a time that needs it.
Nature Net is here to provide more resources and ideas for outdoor learning. Nature is for everyone, and we’re here to help find ways for every student, classroom, and school to engage with outdoor learning opportunities.
Resources for Educators – Outdoor Learning Guides
- Environmental Education Guidance – General environmental education guidance for making better, more equitable use of outdoor spaces as we return to in-person learning from the North American Association for Environmental Education
- Taking Education Outdoors Toolkit – Toolkit for schools in Wisconsin to incorporate safe outdoor learning from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Environmental Education Guidance Illinois – Environmental education guidance on using outdoor spaces with Illinois case studies from the Environmental Education Association of Illinois
- Outdoor Learning Opportunities and Solutions – Resources and ideas for outdoor learning solutions with example schedules from the Inside-Outside Advisory Group
- Outdoor Learning in Cold Weather – Resources and ideas for outdoor learning in cold weather with examples from the Inside-Outside Advisory Group
- Outdoor Learning Resolution – Resolution with ideas for what should be standard and available for outdoor learning at schools from the NYC Education Council District 3
- Schools Beat Earlier Plagues with Outdoor Classes, We Should Too – Open-air learning during the winter was used in the last major pandemic, with much success: see how they did it from the New York Times